The Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR) drives mission-oriented research that advances scientific discovery and technological innovation. We play a key role in nurturing and developing talent and leaders for our Research Institutes, the wider research community, and industry.
Our research creates economic growth and jobs for Singapore. As a Science and Technology Organisation, we bridge the gap between academia and industry in terms of research and development. In these endeavours, we seek to integrate the relevant capabilities of our research institutes and collaborate with the wider research community as well as other public sector agencies towards meaningful and impactful outcomes.
Our research, in addition, also contributes to societal benefits such as improving outcomes in healthcare, urban living, and sustainability. These serve to enhance lives in Singapore and beyond.
• Be Singaporeans and other nationals intending to take up Singapore citizenship
• Satisfy criteria for and seek admission into NTU, NUS and SUTD PhD programme
• Obtained at least a 2nd Upper Class Honours Degree or equivalent in relevant disciplines
• Have a strong interest in a research career are preferred Other requirements:
• Candidates may submit GRE scores (if available) to be included in the overall assessment of their scholarship application
• AGS awardees are not required to do a one-year research attachment at A*STAR prior to their PhD.
The above eligibility criteria are not exhaustive.
A*STAR may include additional selection criteria based on prevailing scholarship policies. These policies may be amended from time to time without notice.
Successful applicants will be given support for up to 4 years of academic pursuit. They will receive*:
• Full tuition fees
• Monthly sustenance allowance, inclusive of CPF contribution (where applicable)
• Other allowances including
• Support for up to 12 months of overseas attachment
*All rates/allowances are subject to adjustments by A*STAR from time to time.
AGS scholars are eligible for up to 2 years of post-doctoral fellowship under AGS (PDF).
• Singaporeans (at the point of award): No service commitment
• Non-Singaporeans (at the point of award): 2 years in a Singapore-based organisation preferably in Biomedical Sciences, Physical Sciences and Engineering
AGS awardees who are subsequently awarded the AGS (PDF) for overseas post-doctoral training: 3 years