At A*STAR, you will be part of a vibrant and innovative team, dedicated to drive A*STAR's mission to advance science and develop innovation technology to further economic growth and improve lives.
We firmly believe that people are our greatest asset.
The A*STAR Graduate Academy provides scholarships and fellowships to enable young aspiring scientific talent to pursue their passion in science, and prepare them for a rewarding career in R&D. In addition to offering scholarships and awards for undergraduate, PhD and post-doctoral studies at top universities and laboratories locally and overseas, we offer awards and attachment opportunities for pre-university students.
Singapore’s Research, Innovation and Enterprise ecosystem has developed significantly over the past decade, and has grown to include a growing number of public and private R&D players. This has in turn resulted in a growing demand for PhD talent in various fields.
In recognition of the diverse talents, strengths and interests of our PhD scholars, we have created multiple pathways for our scholars, providing them with opportunities to develop and chart their careers in industry, academia, spin-off companies, patent examination, technology transfer and research management after their first two years with A*STAR.
Embark on a bright future in Science, Technology, Research and Innovation
Apply for an A*STAR scholarship today.
The A*STAR Computing and Information Science (ACIS) Scholarship is launched in November 2018 to attract top talents to pursue a PhD in computing and information science (CIS) disciplines.
The ACIS Scholarship provides a competitive stipend of up to S$5,000 monthly, on top of other allowances, and full tuition fees support for up to four years of PhD studies at NTU, NUS, SUTD or SMU.
In addition, ACIS Scholars can look forward to support for an overseas attachment of up to 12 months during your PhD.
Scholars can also apply for the A*STAR International Fellowship (AIF) to further your research expertise and expand your global network at top overseas universities or research entities:
• Applicants must be Singaporean. Those of other nationalities must intend to take up Singapore Citizenship.
• Satisfy the criteria for and gain admission to a PhD programme* in one of the following schools:
• NTU School of Computer Science and Engineering
• NUS School of Computing
• SMU School of Information Systems
• SUTD Information Systems Technology and Design Pillar
• Have obtained at least a 2nd Upper Class Honours Degree or equivalent in relevant disciplines
• Have strong interest to pursue a CIS research career in industry R&D labs, technology enterprises, spin-off companies and/or academia
*Applicants for thematic programmes who are applying for or have gained admission to schools/departments other than the 4 specified CIS schools may be considered for the ACIS Scholarship if their PhD project is in CIS, on a case-by-case basis. The above eligibility criteria are not exhaustive. A*STAR may include additional selection criteria based on prevailing scholarship policies. These policies may be amended from time to time without notice. Please refer to www.a-star.edu.sg for a more detailed information.
August Intake: 1 February
January Intake:1 August of the preceding year
Successful applicants will be given support* for up to 4 years of academic pursuit.
They will receive:
• Full tuition fees
• Monthly sustenance allowance, inclusive of CPF contribution (where applicable)
Other allowances including:
• Book allowance
• Computer allowance
• Conference allowance
• Thesis allowance
• Support for up to 12 months of overseas attachment AGS scholars are eligible for up to 2 years of post-doctoral fellowship under AGS (PDF).
* All rates/allowances are subject to adjustments by A*STAR from time to time.
Singaporeans (at the point of award): No service commitment
Non-Singaporeans (at the point of award): 2-year service in Singapore-based companies^ without commitment to any specific organization.
The area of work should preferably be in CIS disciplines.
^ Singapore-based companies refer to local companies and international companies that have a base in Singapore and which is registered with the Accounting & Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA).
• Nanyang Technological University (NTU)
• National University of Singapore (NUS)
• Singapore Management University (SMU)
• Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD)
Computing and Information Science